Feb 17, 2009

Don't drink & drive

Who says nothing interesting happens in the East Village anymore? This past Saturday I was walking south on Avenue A on my way to open up Etherea for the day. As I got closer to the store, I noticed a crowd in front of it which I thought was weird. When I reached the store, I saw this in front of the magazine shop just next door:



It was a two car accident (the second car didn't look nearly as bad), and this one ended up jumping the curb & hitting the muni-parking meter. You can see the flatbed truck in the background - it actually took them a few attempts to pull the car off of the curb & meter. It was really hooked on there. I don't think anyone was hurt. Here's what was left of the meter and the car once all was said and done:



The following morning I was walking my dog on West 54th Street and saw this across from the police precinct:



Speaking to some cops later that day I found out it was an accident on the westside highway Saturday night or Sunday morning. One of the cops showed me some blood on the windshield. Needless to say, the driver did not survive.

I'm amazed that I don't see more car accidents in NYC. One spends their day walking around & seeing so much traffic, you think it would be a regular occurence, but it's actually quite rare.

1 comment:

Ed Ward said...

Thing is, most traffic in Manhattan moves so slowly that, other than the kind of damage in that first sequence, not much is going to happen.

Of course, given how bad most New York drivers (and don't even get me started on Jersey) are, it's a good thing they don't drive any faster.

Related Posts with Thumbnails