Aug 17, 2009

Arthur Kane: I, Doll

I, Doll: Life and Death with the New York Dolls I, Doll: Life and Death with the New York Dolls by Arthur "Killer" Kane
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 stars for the curiosity factor alone. Enjoyable enough but it could have used much better editing, and overall thought to the whole presentation.

One overriding thought struck me while reading most of the book - that I've never read a memoir like this where the protagonist(s) seem to lack any responsibility for themselves at all. Kane seems to hold everyone else responsible for the failure of the band. It was a revelation as well as to how much he claimed to hate David Johansen. For hardcore Dolls fans only.

4 comments:

NYCDreamin said...

Thanks, KB, I hadn't heard anything about this...or if I had I'd forgotten. Anyway, just got off the phone /w/ local bookstore - ordered up a copy - can't wait to read it.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

I didn't know about it until I walked into the Woodstock boosktore, and saw it. I hope you like it...like I said, its definitely for the hardcore fans only.

Ed Ward said...

I think Dee Dee Ramone's memoir is similar: "I was doing okay, when the drugs made me take them!" was the main theme of ths thing. Sure, write that kind of stuff if it makes you feel better; most of us can see through it, though.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Thats funny but sadly true. It's that sort of dumb end of things that gave me problems when I had spent enough time hanging around folks like that...even just meeting them in person. Not necessarily (but sometimes - the musicians), but also the folks who hung around them and in that scene that was just before my time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails