May 17, 2010

Linder Sterling and Jon Savage: The Secret Public / Punk Montages, Photography and Collages 1976-1981

In what just might be the punk related ephemera show of the year (in NYC at least) The Boo Hooray Gallery at Steven Kasher Gallery is currently presenting Linder Sterling and Jon Savage: The Secret Public / Punk Montages, Photography and Collages 1976-1981 through May 23.

Any student of UK punk & post punk worth their salt will certainly know Jon Savage's name as the author of the definitive history of UK punk, England's Dreaming. And Linder Sterling as the graphic designer for the Buzzcocks (and their New Hormones label) in the 70's, as well as an amazing artist in her own right. A definitive collection of her work is available in a book called Linder: Works 1976-2006. Her best known work might be the iconic design for the Buzzcocks' "Orgasm Addict" single.

The show is based on a one-off art fanzine published by Savage & Linder in January 1978 called The Secret Public. The zine was the second "release" by the Buzzcocks label, New Hormones, following their Spiral Scratch EP. Independent labels did things like that in those days.
- Read more about the show here.
- For a virtual walk thru of the show, watch the video below.
- For a closer look at the items in the show, view the virtual catalog here.
- For a Savage-written history of the zine, go to NewHormones.info, which also features plenty of other information about New Hormones Records for the train spotters out there.



Lastly, if anyone from the gallery happens to read this, I must say that whomever did the PR for this event (especially the opening) did a lousy job. I'm usually plugged in to these sorts of things and knew nothing about it until today when I heard about it from a friend. He told me that quite a few other folks also didn't hear about, or if they did, it wasn't until literally a couple of hours prior to the opening party on May 10. I'm really disappointed that I missed it. Boo Hooray Gallery indeed.

The Boo Hooray Gallery is located at The Steven Kasher Gallery at 521 West 23rd Street. Call 212-966-3978 for gallery hours. The show runs through May 23.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah, I found out a few minutes before it started, and thought it was the followind day, and by the time I realized I had it wrong, the opening was over. I was really annoyed that I missed out on it! And surprised that I didn't know about it, just figured I was more out of the loop than usual, but this is something that's pretty keyed in on my general interests, you'd figure it'd reach me somehow!

JamesChanceOfficial said...

I'm surprised too. John A. told me about it today because I happened to call him. At least I'll get to see it before it closes. I'm just bummed I missed the cool opening events.

EV Grieve said...

Yeah, damn. Wish I would have known about this. And I gotta do a family thing this weekend.

davidikus said...

Great post - IS this the same Linder Sterling who later worked with Morrissey & the Smiths?

<a href="http://davidikus.blogspot.com/”>http://davidikus.blogspot.com/</a>

JamesChanceOfficial said...

It must be the same. I didn't know she did any work with the Smiths, but there's that Manchester connection. I think I'm going to check out the show today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails