Dec 17, 2011

D-E-V-O 1978

Live performance Devo video photo via

There's a lot of D-E-V-O in the air right now. After seeing them just a couple of days ago at Irving Plaza, they've been on my mind. Then, just this morning, I found these videos posted on Dangerous Minds, and just had to rerun them here. While at the Irving show, I tried describing to my friend the sort of impact they had on me at the tender age of 12 after witnessing these two performances on SNL in 1978. They scared the crap out of me, in a good way. I haven't been the same since.

If I could have, I would have described my 12 year old feelings to my friend the same way Marc does over at DM: "...as if aliens from another planet had created a concept of Earthlings based on old television transmissions they’d hijacked of industrial training films, Triumph Of The Will, episodes of Hullabaloo and Saturday morning cartoons and then spewed it all back at us in a digitized replication missing a few ones and zeros."





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails