Feb 19, 2012

Michael Davis (MC5) RIP

Michael Davis, MC5 (far left)
Michael Davis - RIP 

"...I had an acoustic guitar and I used to sing folk music and Bob Dylan songs. I loved rock and roll though. I grew up with it in the '50's. I was DEEPLY into R&B and everything that was on the radio. I was deeply into music but I was not a musician at the time.

So I went out there and saw those guys place in Detroit at this small bar. After they finished their set, I went over to say hi to Rob and he introduced me to Wayne and Fred. I had made a radical purchase of some brown Beatle boots. Wayne was like 'Where did you get those boots! Who is this guy?' 

Basically, I had been to art school at Wayne University and my whole direction in life was to be an artist and do drawings and paintings. Wayne and I got to talking and we hit it off pretty good. We became friends almost immediately. Like I said, I was a bit older than those guys and travelled around the country a little bit so I had some things to say about what was going on outside of Detriot. This was of enormous interest to them. I lived in New York, down on the Lower East Side. Anything I had to say about my travels was fascinating to them, particularly to Wayne.

We became pretty good friends and started hanging out. Within a short amount of time, Wayne and I both decided that it would be great if I was in the band. So I decided to start learning the parts to the different songs to see if I could pick it up. It was a short matter of time before the bass player that was in the band coincidentally quit so I was right there to step into the slot. I might have practiced for two weeks on my own. The first gig I played with them was at my alma mater, Wayne State University." - Continued at Perfect Sound Forever



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails