|Keith Levene by Andrew Lee|
This week's edition of the Stupefied Playlist is particularly special to me. It's from a gent who has been a huge part of my musical education, and has been there from the start: Mr. Keith Levene - a member of not one, but two seminal bands in the UK's modern era. Starting with the Clash (although he's been conveniently airbrushed out of their history) for whom he wrote "What's My Name?" which was included on their debut album by which time Levene was not in the band any longer. He was also, of course, a founding member of Public Image Limited. Along with John Lydon and Jah Wobble, they released two albums (First Issue and Metal Box/Second Edition) which are often cited on "All Time Best..." lists. After the second album, Wobble left the band, while Levene remained to make The Flowers of Romance with Lydon and drummer, Martin Atkins. He really should not need an introduction.
In 2012, Levene reunited with Wobble, and together they released the Yin Yang album on the Cherry Red label, as well as touring a live, and well received, dub recreation of the Metal Box album appropriately called Metal Box In Dub.
Most excitingly, Levene is currently working on an autobiography entitled This Is Not An Autobiography: The Diary of A Non-Punk Rocker. He'll be self-publishing the book, because as he says, "I don't do record or book deals!" Available soon for download, an excerpt can be read at one of Keith's websites, right here.
Besides that, Keith is self-releasing solo recordings as well. Absolute Zero Redux, The Search 4 Absolute Zero, and the Killer In The Crowd EP are all available on digital download only, and available directly from him here. A huge thanks to Keith for the playlist.
To keep up with all of his various doings, please visit the sites listed here:
Jah Wobble & Keith Levene - Facebook
|Keith Levene by Dennis Morris|
01. Yin Yang - Jah Wobble & Keith Levene
02. Heroes and Villains - Beach Boys
03. Tomorrow Never Knows - Beatles
04. America - Simon & Garfunkel
05. All Because of You - Omar & the String Poppers
06. Welcome to the Machine - Pink Floyd
07. All Right Now - Free
08. Surf's Up - Beach Boys
09. Always Crashing in the Same Car - David Bowie
10. One On One - Hall and Oates
11. I'm Not In Love - 10cc
12. Killer In The Crowd - Keith Levene
13. So Far Away - Carole King
14. Everyday - Buddy Holly & the Crickets
15. Can't Get Over Losing You - Andy Williams
16. What's My Name - The Clash
17. Happy Together - The Turtles
18. Woman - John Lennon
19. Save a Prayer - Duran Duran
20. You're All I've Got Tonight - The Cars