Sep 29, 2005

CBGB 8-27-05

Dinner with Jack Rabid at Vaselka...we thought we had to be at CBGB at 8:00 to catch the Stimulators, but it turned out that SFA cancelled, so bands weren't starting until 9:00.

We get to CB's around 8:30 or so. It was a cool scene outside, just like the old days. Familiar faces, people I hadn't seen in a while. Jack introduced me to Denise from the Stimulators, as well as Rose - Harley Flanagan's mom (he was the drummer in the Stims before the formation of the Cromags). We also ran into Ron from the Nihilistics...you had to see the hearse they drive around in! In fact, you can see it on their website. Also saw Dougie from Kraut/Cromags which was nice. I hadn't seen him in a few years, but he hasn't changed a bit.

So finally we go inside. The one strange thing about the night was they were giving out wristbands as you entered, but there was no in/out - all exits were final. I've never experienced that at CB's and wondered what the point of the wristbands was. Inside I ran into Erik (hello!) who introduced me to his lovely daughter. Also ran into Bryan Swirsky, and Randy Haecker...I couldn't remember the last time I had been at a show with so much of a social element to it. It was nice for a change.

Anyway, finally around 10:00, the Nihilistics go on. After a little trouble with the guitar hook ups, they hit their stride...They were a little rusty, and maybe a little drunk but seemed to enjoy themselves...cursing out the audience, spraying them with beer & water. There was also some moshing going on, so I was happy I was off to the side of the stage, and behind it a little too.

After them then the Stimulators came on. The Stims, if you don't know, were one of the first pre-hardcore NYC punk bands, if there is such a thing (sort of a bridge between the early CB's/Max's scene, and the NYHC bands to come). Just good melodic, uptempo rock 'n roll, they are most famous for two things: The song "Loud Fast Rules" and spawning Harley Flanagan, who later went on to become one of the Lower East Side's more notorious skinheads, and also formed the Cromags for whom he played bass. They sounded great despite only rehearsing twice as the full band...great energy & they really seemed to enjoy themselves. At least two people travelled a long way to see them. One from Vermont, and one from North Carolina!

Next up were the Anti Nowhere League. I'm not sure, but I don't think they've been in the States since the 80's...a long time. The only original member left is lead singer Animal but they sounded great if a little formulaic. They definitely have 5 or 6 great songs which were great to hear...Animal, So What, Rocker, I Hate People et al. Animal looks exactly tyhe same as he did 20 years ago, and his voice hasn't suffered a bit either...I immediately thought to myself, "This guy is the Tom Jones of punk rock."

By the time ANL went on, the place was packed! I can't remember the last time I had been there in such conditions. Even watching from the normally somewhat comfortable spot on the side of the stage was getting a little hairy. People dancing, going back & forth to the bathroom, and the dressing rooms. Anyone pressed up against the side wall was almost forced to smell everyone who passed! It's amazing how many different kinds of body odor there is.

So finally, following all of this, Cheetah Chrome and the Dead Boys hit the stage around 1:00AM. By this time, I relegated myself to the front of the room, right by the pool table. It was cooler there & there was more space. Following a pleasant conversation with Peter of Peter & the Test Tube Babies, the Dead Boys were into their second song when I decided to call it a night, much to the chagrin of Jack Rabid. I was finding it a little hard to be excited about seeing a band (the Dead Boys) without their lead singer. They were an awesome band, but Stiv Bators was an immensley important part. P.S. To answer Kitty's question, Cheetah handled most of the vocal duties.

The sound, at least from the middle of the room & away from the stage, was the worst I had ever heard at CB's. Normally it's great, so this was hard to comprehend. But I was tired too, so maybe I wasn't hearing things correctly.

Today, after a few hours with my dad at the South Street Seaport Museum, it's back to CB's tonight. I think we're going to skip the Suicide Kings, Walter Lure & the Waldos, and Cheetah Chrome (this time with the Black Angels, not the Dead Boys), and show up late just to see Flipper, and Sham 69.

I'll be back with more...I hope you find this informative.

2 comments:

Brendan said...

We used wristbands for over 21 so the bartenders wuldn't have to deal with ID. Sorry about the no re-entry policy, but as you were aware our upstairs neighbors/ landlord was evicting us and used to call the cops whenever there were too many people on the sidewalk. No re-entry helped a little.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Hey Brendan...nice to see you here. If I remember correctly, I don't think the point of the wristbands was ever explained at the door (at least to me). Anyway, its all water under the bridge at this point.

I guess you're missing CB's a bit. Me too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails