Feb 20, 2008

Anyone got a spare $3 million?



Word of this eBay auction of 3 million records (thats right, 3 million) has been making the rounds recently. All I can say is...I don't know what to say! I think I'm speechless. Obviously this collection should be given to the Archive of Contemporary Music or the Smithsonian, but it sure is nice to fantasize about dedicating the next decade or two towards working on it - listening, cataloging, selling some, etc...

Read an interview with the collector/seller here at the Mojo blog.

3 comments:

Maritza said...

How close to 3 million is your collection? I'll check in with in about 10 years...

Anonymous said...

My question was how "complete" was this collection. did it include only sort of "mainstream" stuff, or does it include the many "marginal" genres floating around in the ether. Too, it says much about the narrative of the music industry being dominant in regards to music history (look at me, history geek). It'd be nice if he had an online data base of the collection...

How much you wanna bet Paul Allen buys it? It would go nicely with his "Experience music" museum... But I agree, it should go in the Smithsonia or something like that...

Mindy

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Yes, Mindy - who knows? It could have been filled with tons of crap. I actually had an email from a friend this morning which I wish I didn't delete now, but it was a from a guy who had seen this collection & wasn't very impressed.

But who knows? Record collectors can be freaky, petty & jealous to say the least.

Related Posts with Thumbnails