Jan 22, 2010

You're (not) wondering now

Following the recent announcement of their appearance at this year's Coachella festival, I figured it was just a matter of time before the Specials announced any other US dates. Brooklyn Vegan reports that they will be playing April 21 at Terminal 5. Tickets go on sale January 29.

Jerry Dammers remains persona non grata unfortunately. For his side of the story, see the letters section of the February issue 2010 of Mojo magazine. Also, according to the Brooklyn Vegan report, the Specials have not played in the US since January 1980 - this is incorrect. The last time they played here was in August 1981. I know because the NYC show was at Pier 84. I couldn't go for some reason or another, but my friend Neil went, and he bought me a t-shirt which I wore for many years afterwards...I wonder what happened to it?

On a side note, besides the Specials, other so called 80's bands appearing at Coachella will be Public Image Ltd, Echo & the Bunnymen, Gary Numan, and Devo. Not to mention Grace Jones, De La Soul and Sly & the Family Stone.

2 comments:

Nazz Nomad said...

The Specials played at the Warped tour sometime around 2005 or so. I saw them at Randalls Island. Dammers was not with them. In fact, Terry Hallmight not have been with them either, but weveryone else was.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

That line up played at Irving Plaza when I worked there in the late 90's. Eh...

I'll probably go to this but I am disappointed that they still haven't worked things out with Dammers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails