Mar 25, 2010

Ben Vaughn remembers Alex Chilton

Our friend Lindsay, over at the Next Big Thing, has posted Ben Vaughn's remembrance of Alex Chilton. It's a nice companion piece to the Westerberg piece that ran in the NY Times a few days ago.

"I met Alex Chilton in the early Eighties in New York City. We were introduced by our mutual friend Mike. I was just starting my music career and Alex was the guy who produced the Cramps and I needed a producer so I handed him a demo of my songs. He took it, examined it from all angles as if he’d never seen a cassette tape before, looked me in the eye and asked, “Is this original material?” I nodded yes and in a very blasé voice he said, “great” and put it in his pocket. My friend Mike and I shrugged at each other. We assumed the tape would be tossed." Continued here.

Here's a track from the vastly overlooked album recorded by Vaughn, Chilton & Alan Vega in the mid 90's, Cubist Blues, and released by the Thirsty Ear label.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails