Apr 2, 2010

Friday Ephemera - Paul Newman racing photos

Back in the 70's, and into the early 80's, my father was the editor, and then publisher for the Sports Car Club of America's official magazine, amongst other auto-related activities. We'd spend quite a bit of time hanging out at places like the track in Lime Rock, CT or up in Watkin's Glen, NY, where I saw many of the great Formula 1 drivers of the late 70's drive. I recently came across these great black & white shots of Paul Newman shot by Stan Clinton. It was not unusual for me to inherit things like this over the years as my dad's office always needed to have them on file. Anyway, just in case you didn't know Paul Newman was into racing, here's the proof:











4 comments:

Alistair Fitchett said...

Tim, I saw this post yesterday, literally like a minute after watching The Sting on TV. Sweet. Can't tell you how envious I am of you spending some of your youth hanging out at the Glen. Were you there when Gilles blitzed everyone in the wet practice session for the Grand Prix? And Newman, yes indeed, a great race driver. You don't get to finish second at Le Mans with just a pretty face and a Hollywood legend behind you. Respect.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

You know I'm not sure if I was there for that. It was so long ago. I just pulled out several boxes of slides (my father used to have all our photos processed this way). I have photos from 77-80 from Watkins Glen at least. Plus one box from Long Beach when the US had two(!) Grand Prixs. I need to find a way to get these photos digitized. The best ones tend to be ones taken inside the garages. I bet you can't wander around the garages these days!

Alistair Fitchett said...

I just invested in a 35mm film scanner (a proper one, not one of those crappy add-on bits for flatbeds) so i'll let you know how it performs. I have a bunch of slides to scan as well as negs... I think it was '79 or '80 when Gilles worked his magic in the rain. The stuff of legend. Ah yes, the Long Beach grand prix. I remember sitting up at night listening to commentary from the US services radio station, reception fading in and out.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

I didn't get to go to Long Beach but I think I have photos from that too. I have a friend who might be able to scan them for me...I'll find out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails