Apr 16, 2010

Friday Ephemera - The Specials

Back when I was but a wee lad, I used to do things like write letters to record labels to see what they'd send me. With the exception of the guy who responded to me from Nemperor/Epic who went above & beyond, and actually sent me copies of the first two Romantics albums (god bless him), most of the responses contained what PR departments used to send out for press - a customized folder, a bio, and an 8x10 publicity photo. In honor of the Specials first shows in NYC since 1981 (next week at Terminal 5), I give you some bounty sent to a grateful adolescent kid in the 'burbs from the way-back-machine:


Publicity photo, Specials second album, More Specials, 1980

Specials first album publicity kit, 1979 - folder cover, photo, and two page bio:







2 comments:

danny dog said...

Actually the Specials played Irving Plaza about 6-8 years ago.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

I know, I was working at Irving at the time. Personally I consider this that much closer to the real thing as Terry is with them. I guess it's semantics, but that's how I see it. It is too bad that they couldn't work things out with Jerry Dammers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails