Nov 30, 2011

Just Because - Fiorucci

Thanks to Disney Rollergirl for digging up these Fiorucci images (see more here). For me they're completely evocative of the late 70's/early 80's which is when they had a store in NYC. Evocative for me probably because of my age at the time, but in reality, the Italian designer has been around since the late 60's, and they've always seemed to have had this new wave/disco sheen to everything they do. I love it.

In case you've never seen it, here's a great television news piece on the New York store featuring Klaus Nomi, and then-Fiorucci employee Joey Arias:



4 comments:

the sandwich life said...

awwwwww.....Klaus.....

Duncanmusic said...

There was a great song by Terrance Boylan on his 2nd Asylum LP in the mid-late 70s called 'Shake Your Fiorucci' where after each verse he 'quoted' alarger than life guitar riff like the riff from Derek & Dominoes' Layla then next verse the riff from the Rolling Stones' Bitch. Worth looking for to play while you look at these picturesm fer sure. Tell me if you find it. I used to own it and am looking for it on line.

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Hey DuncanMusic - Found this version on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd8SAPQqwqg. It has a Bryan Ferry sort of vibe to it...pretty odd record!

the G said...

Fiorucci--crazy shit!

I went to high school close to the store in midtown and wandered up there once to take a peek, in maybe '81. I can't remember why!

I love the bright, oversaturated colors... I remember a t shirt with a Rickenbacher guitar and a bunch of Japanese writing on it that was pretty cool, but a little expensive for a 14 year old.

Very evocative of the times...

Related Posts with Thumbnails