May 21, 2013

Stupefied: The Gary Asquith Playlist


This week's edition of the Stupefied playlist is from one my all time favorite frontmen, Gary Asquith, best known as a member of London's provocative and dubby Renegade Soundwave. Gary has long been involved with a bunch of interesting (no matter what, they're always interesting) projects beginning with early post punk efforts MASS, and Rema-Rema, moving on to Renegade Soundwave, and most recently with the Lavender Pill Mob, and some other more underground things.

Here's what Gary had to say: This was harder than making a record in my opinion. I want you to know that Nat King Cole is my favourite singer of all time - I grew up listening to my father playing his albums and he's god in my house. That's it. It could all change at the flick of a finger. 

I worked on Mikkim's Offbeat Rhapsody album last year which won the Andel prize for Best Reggae and Ska album (an Andel award is like a Czech grammy - it means "angel" in Czech). I did three songs for the album: a reworking of "Probably A Robbery," "Air Hostess" (an old RSW track that vanished around the recording of Soundclash), and "Heaven Be Upon Us." I shall also be promoting the album by playing live with Mikkim at Glastonbury this year.

I've been recording with Japanese musician Takatsuma Mukai for his new album - a track called "The Store" - called Sunya (which is sanskrit for zero or void), and I've recorded a dubby-styled 45 under the name Renegade Connection called "I Surrender" for my Le Coq Musique label. I'm also I'm also currently working on the remixes of Rema Rema's original recordings. 

Lavender Pill Mob


 Visit Gary and keep in touch with his various projects via the following Facebook links:


Huge thanks to Gary...And don't forget those bonus points for including "Karate Boogaloo"! 





01. When I Fall In Love - Nat King Cole
02. Ballade De Melody Nelson - Serge Gainsbourg
Renegade Soundwave
03. Lola - The Kinks
04. In A Broken Dream - Python Lee Jackson
05. Dub Organiser - Dillinger
06. Karate-Boo-Ga-Loo - Jerry-O
07. Would You Believe - Roxy Music
08. Out On the Street - The Shangri-Las
09. You Got Soul - Johnny Nash
10. Nancy - Frank Sinatra
11. I'll Come Running - Brian Eno
12. Havana Moon - Chuck Berry
13. Heroes and Villains - The Beach Boys
14. Police in Helicopter - Eek A Mouse
15. Cosmic Dancer - T.Rex
16. The Trip - Kim Fowley
17. Ain't That A Kick In The Head - Dean Martin
18. Cheesy Lipstick - Rammellzee
19. I'm A Man - Jobriath
20. Walking On Water - Richard Hell
21. Girls - Genevieve Waite

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails