Aug 27, 2013

Stupefied: The Chris Hollow (Sand Pebbles) Playlist

 
After a week off from the Stupefied Playlist© (not that anyone noticed), we're back this week with a list from way down under. Chris Hollow, of the Sand Pebbles (out of Melbourne), has submitted a great list after being sent my way via Dean Wareham. And like Dean's Stupefied Playlist, Chris has selected film music as well. After all, his band is named after a Steve McQueen movie. And its a beautiful selection of music. Hit play on the YouTube playlist below, and check out Chris' comments about each track.

The latest thing The Sand Pebbles have done, appropriately enough, is a version of “Dream Chant” from the soundtrack to Morning of the Earth, an iconic Australian surf movie. There’s a new tribute coming out called Spirit of Akasha that they'll appear on. Chris fills in his spare time playing in an off-shoot band called The Riding Hood.Thank you Dean, and a big thank you to Chris!



01. Carter Takes a Train – Roy Budd – Get Carter
Incredible bass line and against type use of harpsichord and tabla. I also love that the found sounds from inside the train are included on the soundtrack. It adds so much. The theme plays again as “Goodbye Carter!” with a spookier intro. 

02. Cemetary [Film Version] – Basil Poledouris – Big Wednesday
Another version of the fiesta comedown – John Milius tackled this surf movie like it was a western.

03. Chanson du forçat – Serge Gainsbourg - Vidocq
The beauty of Serge’s songs is you don’t need to know what the meaning is despite the idea that Gainsbourg is all about the words. I’m told it’s a rebel song. Inspired by Dylan’s “Hollis Brown”.  

04. Rosita – Ennio Morricone – The Big Gundown
I love the after the fiesta comedown moment that happens in most every border Western. They’re always scored with my favourite film music – soft, lilting Spanish guitar.

05. Theme to Endless Summer – The Sandals – Endless Summer 
The harmonies are beautiful, subtle. It was also the first time we’d heard melodica and it’s hard not to put melodica on everything once you’ve heard it. The colours on the album cover are brilliant too. Purple, orange and yellow are our colours.

06. Bennie & Alfredo – Jerry Fielding – Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia
Jerry Fielding did most all of Sam Peckinpah’s films.

07. I Feel the Sun – Tully – Sea of Joy
My favourite piece of Australian surf music – if it could be called that – is Tully’s “I Feel the Sun” from the film, Sea of Joy. The singer sounds like an Australian version of Bert Jansch. 

08. Wait For Me – Maggie Cheung – Clean
A quintessential Dean Wareham lyric [One kind of sorry/Two kinds of green/Three kinds of jealous/Every kind of mean] sung by Maggie Cheung.

09. Bring Down the Birds – Herbie Hancock – Blow-Up
I was as big a fan of Deee-Lite’s “Groove is in the Heart” as anyone. I got a thrill hearing that bass line on the Blow-Up soundtrack. The film also has the great footage of the Yardbirds churning out “Stroll On”, their Beck + Page super-sized version of “Train Keeps a-Rollin’”. 

10. As We Go Along – The Monkees – Head
As a kid I’d always read terrible things about Head. When I finally saw the film, I was stunned. It’s so irreverent and modern and shocking too. It also houses my two favourite Monkee tracks – “Porpoise Song” and the more underrated “As We Go Along”.  

11. Summer Kisses, Winter Tears – Elvis Presley – Flaming Star
There are two versions – both last minute cuts from the Flaming Star movie. The shorter version is just bongos, shaker and Elvis’s voice.

12. Solo On a Raft – Hugo Montenegro – The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
It’s from the soundtrack to the TV show but it’s probably my favourite piece of music on this list. Another triumph for harpsichord.

13. Me and My Arrow – Harry Nilsson – The Point!The Point! was a film that played a lot as kids. It was mesmerizing - strange animation, strange story and strange songs. “Me and My Arrow” was entrée to other craziness like “Think About Your Troubles” and “Everything’s Got ‘Em”.  

14. Through the Morning, Through the Night – The Fantastic Dillard & Clark Expedition – The Getaway
This plays on a jukebox as Ali McGraw talks to a soldier in a railway station bar.

15. Finale and End Credits – David Shire – The Conversation Stunning end to a great film. We know that you know; keep your mouth shut.

16. El Degüello – Nelson Riddle – Rio Bravo
The no quarter bugle call adapted by Dimitri Tiomkin. The wail of disrepair.

17. In the Morning of My Life – The Bee Gees – MelodyI recently asked Barry Gibb, ‘if your show’s going pear-shaped, what’s the song you pull out to make things right?’ He said “How Deep Is Your Love” and also mentioned “In the Morning [Of My Life]”. The version that opens Melody is slower than the original and has no Robin.

18. Leaving Del Norte – Bruce Langhorne – The Hired Hand
Langhorne was Bob Dylan’s greatest guitarist. I once had a crack at Warren Ellis of The Dirty Three saying all his soundtracks were just ripping off Bruce Langhorne and The Hired Hand. He assured me he’d never heard it.

19. Hard Work Drivin’ Man – Capt Beefheart + Jack Nitzsche – Blue Collar
Ry Cooder, Jesse Ed Davis, Jim Keltner, Tim Drummond, Jack Nitzsche and Captain Beefheart doing his best Howlin’ Wolf impression, combine for good over evil. I also like “Coke Machine” off this soundtrack which is this supergroups’ version of “Killing Floor”.

20. La Noyee – Anna Karina – Vivre Ensemble
I’ve never seen this film, directed by Anna Karina herself. It could be his most exquisite melody. Carla Bruni and Serge himself do incredible versions.  HYPERLINK "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMrPdOQYr0" www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMrPdOQYr0

21. Work It Out – Beyoncé – Austin Powers: Goldmember
“There are two kinds of people I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.” “Work It Out” and the Rutles “Cheese and Onions” are my fave pastiche pop.
 
22. “Main Title Theme (Billy)” – Bob Dylan – Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
I once had a girlfriend who was shifting in her seat around the two-hour mark of this film: “When’s Billy the Kid going to start?!” She thought she was seeing the longest double feature in the history of westerns. I love the sleigh bells. 

23. “Blue Moon” - The Marcels - American Werewolf in London
I saw this at the cinema as a young kid. I wasn’t even ten. I thought it was a comedy and it scared the absolute beejesus out of me. I spent a good deal of the film in the foyer. It then haunted my dreams and, to this day, I still have never watched it again. The other thing that was burnt into my psyche was the idea of “Blue Moon”. It was used in different incarnations throughout the film and over the end credits was The Marcels’ knockout version. My other favourite is Elvis’s.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails