May 30, 2007

Way of the West where are you?

Of all of the old bands that I grew up with, none seem to come close to the strange case of Way of the West. From the early to mid 80's, Way of the West released a string of excellent singles, perhaps 5 or 6 in total, but never managed to get an album out. Their biggest tune was "Don't Say Thats Just For White Boys," and they even had a song called "Monkey Love" on a flexi in Flexi Pop Magazine. They were from the UK, but did especially well here in the northeastern US getting loads of airplay on New York area radio stations like WDRE/WLIR, WNYU and WFDU. They played live here - one of my friends saw them at the Mudd Club. They probably played Danceteria as well, if not more. And then...???

I was able to find out that guitarist Reid Savage currently plays with London-based singer songwriter Lucinda Sieger. And drummer Dave Bonnefoy lives & works in Australia with a label called Stickylabel.

Trying to find anything else about them on the ol' interweb is next to impossible. I've come across a couple of blogs that have posted tracks, and judging by the comments there are plenty of people who remember them and would love to see some sort of release or availability of their music. Even looking for images of their singles is next to impossible...it's difficult to believe that, in this age of the long tail, these guys haven't gotten it together to release a compilation of their stuff...seems crazy to me, but maybe they have their reasons.

Here are 13 tracks for you to check out...relive old memories or make new ones. Hopefully you'll enjoy this collection. These tracks will be up for one week or 100 downloads - whichever comes first: Way of the West - 13 tracks

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this link via 99 Records on MySpace...
Anyway, I was a HUGE fan of Way of the West back in 1981-84, and had the same thoughts as you. I bought the singles when they came out, but I only ever found four of them: "...White Boys," "See You Shake," the sublime "Drum," and the later "City for Lovers" maxi, for a total of 9 songs, which a few years ago I ripped to mp3 and burned onto a homemade WotW comp disc I gave out to friends. So which songs/singles am I missing?
Also, in 1984, when "City for Lovers" was released, I clipped an interview with the band (at the time, a duo) from one of the British papers, which I still have somewhere, if you want me to scan it.

Anonymous said...

Tim...you are my hero! I was thinking that I might be the only "Way Of The West" fan in existence anymore. Thank you so much for making those downloads available! I still remember hearing "Drum" for the first time on WNYU's "New Afternoon Show" back in 1982, and immediately taking the train the next day to NYC to buy the single. I had heard that a "W.O.T.W." retrospective cd was in the works some years ago, but I guess it never saw the light of day.......sad! Do you know if such a project is still in the works? Anyway, keep up the great work!

Simon Gordon said...

I hope that by now you have managed to get more information on the whereabouts of the members of WOTW.

If not, make sure you take a look at http://mercury66.wordpress.com

I have also set up a Facebook group for fans of the band.

Simon

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Thank you Simon. I already knew about that site which popped up just around the time I posted this here. Very coincidental. And it was nice to meet one of the guys from the band.

Anonymous said...

Hi-

I've rediscovered City For Lovers on a 12" MCA disc. What a great track. Here's a piece of trivia that I remember from WDRE/LIR. The voice of the woman saying "keep your fingers crossed" was recorded from some Russian radio broadcast.

Thanks for this blog.

Anonymous said...

I know that Jason (sax player) had a 'normal life' in Paris (France) in those days. he joined the band when they toured in the Netherlands in 1983. They had performances in Rotterdam (Parkzicht), Delft, Wateringen (Waterpop), Scheveningen in 1983.
Bye, Joris

ROOKSBY said...

I've just rediscovered WOTW's "Drum" c/o Youtube. I loved that track as a 15 year old but had since forgotten about it, God knows how, it's great! Any chance you could re-up this link, I'd love to hear this stuff again...

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Very good Novemberer. Give a chance to locate the tracks. How did you come across this old post?

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Done...check todays post.

ROOKSBY said...

Hey Karate, many thanks for the re-up. Found your page after a quick WOTW Google search, there's hardly anything about them on the 'net so your link wasn't TOO difficult to find! I'd been listening to old 80s tracks on Youtube at the weekend (as you do...) & "Drum" popped up randomly. I'd totally forgotten I ever owned it but that blurred pink polaroid sleeve rang a few bells so I gave it a listen... Am staggered by how good it still sounds, it's an absolute gem basically! I must've been 14 when I bought it first time 'round...

I'm definitely gonna buy a few WOTW songs off of iTunes btw, it's so disappointing to discover that there isn't a CD comp available, your mp3s will do for the time being though... (cheers!)

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Glad you're so pleased. Check what I just posted: http://theworldsamess.blogspot.com/2011/02/more-way-of-west-live-at-peppermint.html

By the way, I'd love to be added to your blogroll if you're so inclined.

ROOKSBY said...

Thanks so much for the re-up, this WOTW stuff still sounds brilliant, God knows why they never got 'round to releasing an LP? I'd not heard the 2 later singles (on MCA) before, they're almost as good as the first phase recordings... WHAT a band! The WOTW revival starts right NOW.

P.S. I've added you my blogroll. Just out of interest, have you named your page after the Graham Parker song, it's my favourite?

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Yes, the Graham Parker song. Its my favorite as well. Love that man. Thanks for the blogroll add.

Related Posts with Thumbnails