Jun 17, 2009

Looking at Music: Side Two (part two)

Just got back from MOMA and the Looking At Music: Side Two exhibit. While I'm glad for some of the folks I know who have stuff in the show, I have to say I was disappointed. Considering the venue, I expected more.

The show is much smaller than I would have guessed - corner of the second floor that isn't much bigger than my apartment. If you go, and I'm not suggesting that you don't, be prepared to check out some of the other exhibits going on just so you get your moneys-worth. Without trying to sound too cynical, it almost felt more like a marketing ploy by MOMA...by putting up some album covers, and displaying some rare magazines, they figure to attract a demographic that hasn't been visiting lately. There was a definite lack of depth to the whole thing. Been there, done that.

Previous shows of the same subject matter were much better - the Downtown Show in 2006, and the New Museum's East Village USA show back at the end of '04.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails