Nov 10, 2010

Bands to listen for - Warpaint and Beady Eye

I don't often write about new music, but here are a couple of interesting things I thought I'd share. First up is Warpaint, a female quartet from Los Angeles whose "Undertow" I've been hearing quite a bit on the BBC's 6 Music. More mellow & wishy washy than my usual fare, it has an excellent arrangement, and beautiful lyrics. I still find the melody winding it's way through my head hours after I've heard it, and not in a bad way. Download the track below, and check their Myspace page for tour dates, including two NYC shows in early December.










For a completely different vibe, with members who are not exactly new to the scene, is Beady Eye, who include three ex-members of Oasis including singer Liam Gallagher. Debut single "Bring the Light" is pretty much par for the course lyrically, but musically it's immediately more exciting and relevant than I've found Oasis to be in possibly 15 years. Download the track below, and visit their website for more info.









1 comment:

Unknown said...

Warpaint's Undertow has a very Crypto-Byrds-like,Mama's and Papa's reflective sound.Like taking a sixties song and producing it in the 21st century...Thanks for sharing,I like Undertow lots, although their video for that song really stinks. Warpaint = Female Greenhornes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails