Feb 12, 2013

Stupefied: The Mick Farren Playlist


Following last week's Stupefied playlist by Andrew Loog Oldham, I'm thrilled to follow it up this week with a list by yet another cultural lynchpin of mine, Mick Farren. His blog, Doc 40, was one of the main inspirations behind me starting this site way back in 2007, and his memoir, Give The Anarchist A Cigarette, remains one of my all time favorite rock reads. Check his extensive bibliography here. Take it away Mick!

MICK FARREN’S TOP TWENTY

Okay, so here are the twenty songs that I’d have with me on some existential desert island, or locked in a Machiavellian padded cell for that matter. All I ask is Eva Green for company and a case of Jack Daniels otherwise I’ll be licking toads. But I’d rather avoid island or cells since I have a lot to do and am definitely not getting any younger. Since I retired back to the UK the almost original Deviants (Andy Colquhoun on guitar, he’s only been with us 30 years) have played some sporadic shows and will do more. A bunch of recordings are in the can while we wonder what to do with them. And on the literary front Penny Ante editions has published a neat little novella called Road Movie and Headpress are about to come out with a mighty collection of my writing from 1967 to the present titled Elvis Died For Somebody’s Sin But Not Mine. And the fun and fury rolls on at doc40.blogspot.co.uk.  
- Mick Farren, January 2013


01. Heartbreak Hotel – Elvis Presley
02. Woman Love – Gene Vincent
03. Dead Flowers – The Rolling Stones
04. The End – The Doors
05. One For My Baby – Frank Sinatra
06. The Gates Of Eden – Bob Dylan
07. The Piano Has Been Drinking – Tom Waits
08. My Favourite Things – John Coltrane
09. Wild Is The Wind – David Bowie
10. I Can’t Explain – The Who
11. All Along The Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
12. Ode To Billy Joe – Bobbie Gentry
13. London Calling – The Clash
14. Tomorrow’s Parties – The Velvet Underground
15. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow – Amy Winehouse
16. Willie The Pimp – Frank Zappa
17. Sister Morphine – Marianne Faithful
18. Apache – The Shadows
19. Lather – The Jefferson Airplane
20. Don’t Drop That Atom Bomb On Me – Charles Mingus

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails